Environmentally aware touring park in Somerset
Prouds winners of David Bellamy Gold Conservation awards for environmental excellence for 15 years.
Winner of the David Bellamy Special Distinction Award in recognition of the green technology used in the development
of our shower block - 2012 / 2013
Winner of David Bellamy Special Distinction Award in recognition of our environmental work being truly innovative 2010/2011
Our caravan park and campsite has always been developed in sympathy with the environment, a fact recognised by our 14 David Bellamy Gold Conservation Awards (2001-2015). Find out more about what the David Bellamy Conservation Awards says about us.
Our aim at Old Oaks is to minimise our impact on resources while enhancing the environment around us for the benefit of all.
Some of the things we've done around the park over the years to achieve this are:
- New facilities block has been built using the latest energy efficient technologies, including solar thermal hot water system, heat recovery system, air source heat pump, very low energy LED lighting and much more
- 1000's of hedging plants introduced
- Lots of hedge laying to encourage wildlife
- Encouraging bird life with our 'borrow a bird feeder' scheme
- Sourcing local suppliers of local produce wherever possible
- Lots of recycling points and bins with clear labelling
- Actively encouraging guests to recycle all their waste both on site and via our welcome booklet
- Investing in waste compacting equipment to reduce volume and transport costs of recycled materials
- Actively promoting local businesses, walks and attractions to encourage guests to stay local
- Sowing of wild flower seeds
- Creating a woodland walk (coming in 2015)
- Creating a wildflower meadow (coming 2015 )
- Transforming the reed into a wildlife area for guests to enjoy.
Extensive planting of native trees, shrubs and hedging over the years has helped to create a peaceful, green sanctuary for both people and wildlife alike.
From foxes and badgers to the abundance of birds and butterflies, the park is teeming with life. A perfect destination for your environmentally friendly holidays.
We have a Victorian style reed bed to filter waste water from the amenity block in a natural, chemical free way whilst providing an excellent habitat for wildlife.
There are recycling points for almost all types of waste, situated around the park, which we encourage our customers to use as much as possible, ensuring green holidays for all.